Wednesday 3 October 2007

The Family Altar

Our neighbour came to visit during the weekend.

He’s a Pastor, and so is our landlord.

Aren’t we soooo blessed?!!

Anyways, he came to have a chat with hubby while I was watching Lerato’s eviction from the Big Brother Africa show!

They had been chatting for a while when he politely asked me to switch off the TV as I was distracting my hubby and he wanted me to be part of the conversation.

A part of me wanted to soooo rebel, but I complied frowningly.

He encouraged us to have a family altar.

A family altar is a fixed place where we would always meet as a family at a fixed time to share GOD’s word, sing praises and pray for at least 30minutes daily.

He advised that it’s like keeping a daily date/appointment with GOD.

He also said that his family follows this religiously and many times when he’s had a fallout with his wife, it’s usually resolved at the family altar, because they ‘HAVE’ to meet there and ‘TALK’ and often times, one of them would raise a prayer point about: GOD help my wife/husband to understand so and so and so and then they would discuss the issue and listen to each other’s viewpoints and resolve it.

Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.


Hubby and I pray every morning and night but it’s usually in bed.

He advised us to stay away from the bed as the bed is ‘a comfort zone’ and we may drift away in sleep; true, true, hubby’s a culprit, okay me too.

So I’ve proposed that we use the dining area/lobby but we are yet to agree on a time.

So everyone, please have a altar in your homes!!!

Sadly, we didn’t make it for dinner last night (Independence Day).

At about 6.30pm, there was a loud bang on my kitchen door.

It was my neighbour’s 7year old son.

He had been home alone since 2o’clock and his mum had instructed him to come and stay with me if NEPA struck.

So, there I was, dressed up for dinner and waiting for hubby and now saddled with an unexpected babysitting job!

Sigh! Don’t people know you don’t leave children alone at home and unattended?!!!

I called hubby to let him know and we hoped they would return soon, but it was wishful thinking.

They returned @ about 10pm, thereby ruining our night and I got so mad @ hubby and blamed him for prioritizing his job over me because if he hadn’t gone to the office, I wouldn’t have been at home and I wont have been saddled with babysitting.

I had even told him I would meet him in VI but he said he didn’t want us driving around in separate cars.

Anyways, @ about half 9, I told hubby to go get us some take-away so we would celebrate @ home.

Hubby left and called like 10minutes later saying, he really didn’t want to go out without me and we could cook something to eat for the night. Whatever!

Our neighbours didn’t apologise for saddling us with their child, obviously they didn’t know that we had plans.

Anyways, I had a mug of milk and a glass of water and I went to bed, quietly and ‘VERY ANGRY”!!

This morning, while we were praying, hubby said: GOD please help Copido to stop getting angry……and we both started laughing.

This family altar is already working.

Anways, we can do dinner next week.

Smiles

11 comments:

Mimi said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww how sweet!

yea about the altar thing. you'd be surprised how God keeps to His appointments...

mine is in my room @ school, since i share house with 2 other girls, and anytime i'm away from my own house, like stayin @ another friend's house overnight, i always feel uncomfortable i'm not in my own room in the morning!!! and when i get there, it's like....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, at last!

aloted said...

hmm..i like the idea of a family altar. I had heard about it before but now I think am going to tell my H2b that we shld have one when we get married...

Good to hear its working for u already.. :)

And as per your neighbours..nawa for them o...people can be inconsiderate at times...i think u might need to chip it in jokingly that u guys had plans that night, if not it might happen again...People can be funny like that!

Arewa said...

That is sooo sweet.
Thanx for the advice... i think that the idea of the family altar is a wonderful one and will help couples and families to grow in grace with Christ. Thanx again x x

Writefreak said...

hmm...hubby and i pray together but that family altar thing might be a bit hard since he's away a lot..will talk to him though, we can have it when he's around...thanks

Women! i thought i was the only one, was just obsessing about hubby not dropping me at work today and how i will form annoyance...lol

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

You hubby i so sweet is all I can say! LOL... Anyway the isea of the family alter sounds great o! Hmmnnn We usually pray in bed and its such a bad idea!

The experiences of an achiever....... said...

yeah, it does work..i've watched my parents become inseparable over the yrs

NigeriaPolitricks.com said...

Copido, please dont get angry o...at least you helped out a young child. there is so much blessing in taking care of the young and innocent. I pray that the altar thingy walk for you guys. I'ma try d same. stay blessed!

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

Wow is all i can say. Tot i'll never read ur blog again.

That ur hubby erhhhhh u guys want to make us jealous and feel like we have been married for 40 years erh???lol enjoy hun.... its ur time

Unknown said...

I'm going to give this prayer altar a go. As per ur neighbours saddling you with babysitting, I think its the naija way of life and if I was living there too, I'm pretty sure I'd be a culprit too so I wont go there. (smile)

Aijay said...

Lol @ your hubby's prayer.
I like the idea of a family altar. Sounds gr8!

Sisbee said...

A fantastic idea, I love it, I'm going to pra my husband suggests the same! I need a place like that!