Sunday 1 July 2007

Going Shopping With Hubby




Yesterday, hubby and I went jogging and walking for 83minutes.
Okay, I lied, hubby jogged while I walked and 'semi-jogged' (lol) but we did 83minutes anyway.
When we got home, hubby did some 'press-ups' and a few minutes on the cross-trainer.
My hubby's already looking good and toned and I'm getting jealous.....
We had whole wheat bread for breakfast. Hubby had his with sardine stew while I had two slices with strawberry jam and peppermint tea.

Later in the afternoon, we were @ Shoprite to do some of this month's shopping.
We got two trolleys: my trolley was for items on the shopping list while his was for 'unplanned purchases' (lol)
I followed my shopping list religiously and I told hubby I was headed for the frozen food section, where I always end my shopping.
I was minding my business and trying to choose the chicken packs with the biggest parts/flesh when some guy wheeled his trolley next to mine.

Guy: Sorry, is this the chicken section?
Me: Yeah
Guy: What's the difference?
Me:
The packs are labeled.
Guy: (picks a pack) I'm sorry but can I say something?
Me: Sure
Guy: I’ve been watching you and I like the way you are carefully selecting your meat. I mean some other people just come and pick anything but you are obviously taking your time to select the best
Me: I'm only looking for the bigger packs but it makes no difference really cos the packs are weighed and priced per kilo
Guy: Really? Just like they do abroad
I pretend not to hear him
Guy: You know, if you are selecting your meat with so much care, I have no doubt your soup is going to be very delicious....
Me: Thanks
Guy: My name is Victor; I’m in the movie industry. Can I meet you?
Me: Not really. Look, I'm married (I waved my left hand)
Guy: I'm so sorry, I didn’t notice. Gosh, I'm so embarassed (laughs). Is your husband around?
I turned and saw hubby further down the aisle. I blew him a kiss and he waved back.
Guy: This is so embarrassing! Let's just pretend I'm seeking your opinion on the meat...
Me: There's no need for that, bye!

I picked some packs of packed chicken and pushed my trolley towards my hubby.
I’m not making anymore ‘Dude’ mistakes.

Hubby's trolley had some of his toiletries, decaffeinated coffee and coffee-mate (for the office), shoe polish, brush and shiner, ponmo?! (It's burnt animal hide, said to have no nutrients, but it's a Nigerian soup delicacy), a Binatone rechargeable lantern?!, car wash fluid, car air fresheners, Rim Polisher??? Car this and that and that

Me:
Babes, why ponmo, lantern and all these car things?
Hubby: (laughs) This is my trolley babes, so mind your business.
Me: Make sure you don't ask me for any money.
Hubby: You know I won’t
Me: I mean it, babes
Hubby: Let’s see who is going to ask who for money.

We went to separate tills and hubby joined me when he was done.
Hubby: (whispering) Your wallet is with me
Me: Damn!
Hubby: (laughing) Duh!!!
Me: So how much have you spent?
Hubby: You better check how much you have left. (He hands back my wallet)
Me: This is the last time we're shopping together.


Luckily, I had more than enough money anyway.
I drove to a market further down the road where I planned to buy and grind pepper.
It was a mistake.
Hubby sighted some meat-sellers? and we ended up buying 'assorted meats': kidney, fuku (lungs), roundabout and abodi??? amidst serious protests from me.

Hubby and I had no idea how to cook or clean them as I personally, have never ever eaten them in my life so I called good, old, reliable mum.
First, she scolded me for taking hubby to the market and then she scolded me for letting hubby buy 'those nonsense, disease carrying assorted parts'' and then she warned not to allow him eat it again, and then she advised that fish, chicken and turkey is best and then she offered to call me back.

*Sigh* Mothers!
She told me how to clean and cook them and made me repeat her instructions till they were crystal clear.
I had to clean the abodi and roundabout with alum, remove the surrounding fat, turn inside out (abodi) and parboil in boiling water.

I also parboiled the fuku & kidney and I was disgusted as the clotted blood flowed out of the veins/arteries.

Yuck! I'm surprised I didn't puke.
I seasoned and cooked everything and made soup, I didnt use the stock.
Hubby ate it alone, with rice and he said it was delicious.
I did give him a lecture though.

Me: You know I've never touched those assorted meats before
Hubby: (fingerlicking, mouth full) Delicious! mmmmh. Very Delicious. Thanks
Me; Babes, it’s not healthy so you wouldn't be eating it again.
Hubby: It's healthier than meat
Me: Maybe. But it also carries most diseases
Hubby: Like?
Me: Kidney stones, cancer of the lungs, cancer of the bowels
Hubby: Hehehhehehehehehe (laughing) My wife!!!!
I am laughing too and hubby tries to kiss me, I dodged: Not with that mouth!
He starts chasing me round the dining area, we're both laughing hard, luckily, our washerman arrived and I escaped the 'assorted meat' kiss (lol)






10 comments:

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

Never take a man with you to the market!!!!!!!!!!!! fuku? abodi??? oh dear!!

Dolly said...

Lol@ I escaped the assorted meat kiss

great blog you've got

princesa said...

Awwwh! Come on, its not that bad! Ok i agree, am not a fan of all those intestines(roundabout)and all what not, but me i love my Shaki, Kidney and liver o!
"Cancer of the lungs& cancer of the bowels" O gal, u no go kill person o!lol.

Unknown said...

Exactly!! the only way to twist u around his fingers by teasing you "my wife". Chill O jare. Ask ur friends where they buy such if hubby likes them. I'm sure thereare healthier places in lagos to buy them. LOL!!


O girl, e be like say ur husband don catch true jewel. U hot no be small dis one wey u just dey attract admirers like flies left, right and centre even when de man of de house dey nearby. LOL!!

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

lol! i never knew u ned to wash with alum. No wonder people in my house say they have tummy pains almost all the time.............. just kidding o!!

Copido said...

@ 36 Inches of Brown Legs:
lol. At least, now I know. Nice blog name babes.

@ Dolly:
Thanx babes, off to get a dose of laughter @ yours

@ Princess:
Babes, those parts are gruesome and we all know they carry dem diseases. Stop eating it babes or u may not get some kisses (lol)

@ Calabargal:
True jewel indeed (lol). I'm just plain old me but I wear a smile all the time, and I have a friendly face. I'm just your regular next door girl...honest

@ A Kel Called Wonder:
ROTFLMAO.....i've a gut feeling u r not kidding....(lol)

7 said...

Ahhhhh....reminds me of the good old days b4 the kids came. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Thanks for visiting and for the kind words. Am off to read the rest of your blog and will hit the favorites button. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww!u guys are so cute!lol at u escaping the abodi meat kiss!u guys seem to have a wonderful relationship o!
the guy trying to chat u up handled it well tho!some silly 9ja guys may even keep asking you for your no even after they know u are married!

Copido said...

@ Ebony:
Thanx for dropping by babes

@ Pink Satin:
lol. Thank u babes. Silly naija guys indeed, one almost got me into trouble a few weeks ago

AIVY said...

u escaped the abodi meat kiss...
lol
nice blog