Wednesday 22 August 2007

Reatives that Suck II

So I called my uncle.

Me: Hello Uncle To

Uncle:
Ha! Copido, how are you baby?

Me:
(crying) Uncle To, why now?

Uncle:
(alarmed) Copido, what's wrong. Are you okay? Is your mum okay and your bros and sis and your husband nko? Copido answer me what's wrong?

Me:
Uncle To, it's you. It's you and what you are doing.

Uncle:
Okay firstly, I'm sorry for whatever I've done wrong. Now can you tell me what I've done that's making you cry like this.

Me:
It's the way you are treating your wife

Silence

Uncle:
(a hint of anger) What do you mean?

Me:
Has she offended you? Why aren't you sleeping with her?

Uncle:
What did you just say?

Me:
I just found out you haven't touched your wife in two years.

Uncle:
Copido, you are mad. Am I your mate? How dare you talk to me like that? Who told you this rubbish? What's your business, sef? What is your business?

Me:
There's no need to insult me. If you don't want her as your wife anymore, why cant you let her go so she can start her life again. Uncle To, remember you reap what you sow. What goes around comes around. I've done my part......

Uncle:
Ah Ah. Abi I'm dreaming ke? How dare you Copido! How dare you!

Me:
(still crying) What you are doing is not good and I wont condone it.

Uncle:
Hissed and hung up


Since he didn't deny it, I concluded he was guilty as charged so I returned to the lobby and I asked his wife if he had ever been violent towards her or shown any tendency for violence.

She said he had never laid a hand on her so I told her what i had done and I asked if she wanted to listen to my advice.

She urged me to go on.

I advised her that it wasn't too late to start her life again.

She could go back to school or learn a trade and be less of a liability to others.

I advised her to discuss this issue with her mother-in-law because mothers have a way of sorting these things out.

And if he says he doesn't want her as his wife anymore, I advised her to move on with her life.

She started crying again and she said she couldnt go back to her parents because they hadnt forgiven her for getting pregnant so basically, she didn't have anywhere to go.....(sigh)

I told her to contact family members that can help beg her parents to take her back, that there is no way they(at east her mum) would turn her to the streets.

She said she wanted to learn bead-making and dress-making but she couldn't afford to pay for the courses.

So I wrote her a cheque for N75000, N50k for the courses and N25k for herself.

She said she was going to pass the night at her mum-in-law's place and she sent a text to her hubby in my presence.


What do you reckon?

5 comments:

NigeriaPolitricks.com said...

Copido! Copido!! I hail o!!! Oya now, write me my own check. Me I only need N50,000 Naira to start small okrika business. I'm sure money dey yanfu yanfu where those checks dey come from. Mail am sharp sharp...I dey wait o!lol!!

Arewa said...

i am First.....yipppieee. ok i will be bakck let me read the post!..back in a bit. x

Arewa said...

Thats soo sad. I feel sorry for her cus she made a decision that she did not think that she would live to regret..especially just after 4 years. It cant be easy .. i know u advised her to move on witgh her life its easier said than done...
Just keep supporting her the best way u can and things will work out in the end..by Gods grace.

I do think that ur uncle should have been a bit more patient with u but then again i think he just felt a bit insulted .. its the pride thing.. if u know what i mean....
I hope things work out in the end..rdo keep us informed and tell ur uncles wife to be strong and pray about it..... x x x

Aijay said...

My goodness!
Copido ur uncle is unbelievable. He ought to quit being silly and try to resolve this properly. Why can't he just say what his problem is?!
I agree it's not too late for her to start her life all over again. She's only 22.
God bless u for assisting her. Hope she makes good use of the money.

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

Well done and said copido. I just hope he wont feel shes let a 3rd party in. And the money part make sure u follow up her progress. Me i dont know how people operate in Lagos, before she will say aso ebi or gold!!