Saturday 4 August 2007

Saffa Gists II

So I called hubby.

Me: Babes, what do you reckon? I've just splurged on jewelery.

Hubby: (laughs): What have you bought?

Me: Promise you won't be mad....

Hubby (pauses): ........ What do you mean?

Me: I bought this 18carat yellow gold set...

Hubby: Is it for me?

Me: Nooooo

Hubby: So why should I be mad?

Me: It's equivalent to almost $2000

Hubby: What?

Me: It's not $2000, it's almost....

Hubby: I heard you the first time. You don't have that much on you.

Me: I'm using the rest of my ticket money and I have my credit card with me

Hubby: Babes, I'm saying no and I would be very cross with you if you bring that........thing home.

Me: Babes, this is the only thing I want from this trip. I promise I won't buy anything else. And I don't even think I can return it because I know that as a health precaution, most retailers dont accept earrings back.

Hubby: Mmmmmmmh? What's wrong with all the jewelery you have at home plus those big ones your mum gave you and all the beads you have acquired? Copido what's wrong with them? (When my hubby calls me by my name, it's the first sign of anger)

Me: Nothing

Hubby: Copido, if you continue this sort of impulsive buying do you think we can ever own anything of value? We may as well forget about any Christmas holiday

Me: Awwwwww Babes! Just because of $1800

Hubby: I've got to go

Me: I was only joking oh

Hubby (pauses)......You are sick!
Laughs.
So I DID NOT BUY IT OH!!!!

Like Hubby said, what I have is more-than-sufficient.......and I agree....and honestly, I guess I just wanted to splurge unnecessarily on heavy jewelery.
My Mum travels to Milan often to buy gold and she's been very generous to me, she even gave me the three different sets of gold accessories I used during my traditional wedding and reception.
Gosh, am I getting vain or stupid or both?

Sigh.....

What do you reckon?



5 comments:

classybabe said...

This conversation just reminded me of an episode on Newlyweds when Jessica bought some underwear for $700 dollars,Nick was not well pleased.
$2000?The jewellery must have been extraordinary but that price na wah,me i cant even comment too much on jewellery cause i don't really wear them like that.But i know how my cousins are when they are shown some new ones to buy,one actually used her unpaid salary to pay for them!

7 said...

Welcome back girl! Men really don't get the jewellery thing though. My hubby did a double-take when I told him I'd need some for my 40th. He was like "What about the ones you already have?" If you are blessed enough to have your Mom give you for free, abeg save your money. It is not worth disturbing the equilibrum of your marriage.

Unknown said...

Being Vain..... LOL!! A lady can never have enough jewellry o jare. Dont worry, you'lll soon start your new job and then you wont have to ask him when you're buying jewellery. LOL!!

Aijay said...

Hey babes, for a moment you got me on hubby’s side oh. lol.. I’d rather have a nice Xmas holiday instead of jewellery worth $1800. Then again, gorgeous jewellery can be sooooooo tempting.

princesa said...

@Girl i must say this! if you had bought it, i would definitely seek you out in lagos just to give you some flogging.
$1800?!?! That's outrageous o!