Thursday 23 August 2007

The Saga Continues.....


Hubby agreed it was best for the gal to move on with her life.

I wasn't too surprised when my mum called me very late on Sunday night but I was surprised by what she said.

Mum: Copido, what happened today?
Me: With...regards....to...?
Mum: (hiss) I said what happened between you and To's wife?!!!
I did a quick summary.
Mum: And what did you advise her to do?
I repeated what I had told Uncle To's wife.

Mum:Why couldn't you call me first?
Silence
Mum:Can you please answer me? Why are you interfering in other people's lives?!
Silence
Mum:Hello?
Me: Hello Mum.
Mum:My father just called me and he said To said you have wrecked his marriage and advised his wife to leave him..... and you even gave her money to go on with her life. Copido!!!!

Crikey! Damn!!

She gave me a long and thorough lecture about interfering in other people's affairs, about threading carefully and diplomatically in family matters, about steering away from family because they can cause 'kata-kata' and about her 'extended polygamous back-ground'.

Mum was ranting for a full 94minutes before she exhausted the minutes on her calling card and then she said she was going to call back so hubby and I switched off all our phones.

Hubby: You shouldn't have interfered babes.
Me: Huh?! That's not what you said initially, babes.
Hubby: (laughing) It's just an afterthought.
Me: Damn! What shoud I do?
Hubby:Lets call Uncle To's wife

So I disconnected our internet line and rang the lady

Me: Hello. This is Copido.
Mrs To: Hello! Hello! Hello! I cant hear anything oh. Hello? Hello?
So I rang back, but the operator said the number was not available and advised to try again later.
I must have redialed that number like a hundred times, so i conc
luded that she had switched her phone off.
I was soooo confused.
So hubby decided to call her husband.
He was on speaker-phone.

Hubby: Goodevening sir. This is OO, Copido's husband
Uncle To: (yelling) OO, has your wife told you what she's done? She wants to wreck my home eh? She wants to wreck my home, abi!
Hubby: I am very sorry about this. Infact I dont know what to say...
Uncle To: (crying) What have I done to Copido to deserve this. Please warn her oh. If it wasn't for the respect I have for you....mmmhhh, I woulda dealt with her.
Hubby: Please take it easy. We are very sorry. It's just a misunderstanding, mayb
e your wife misinterpreted what she said.
Hubby: But Copido called me too and started accusing me of all sorts. Blablablablabla
So hubby begged and pleaded on my behalf and Uncle To said 'it was okay'

He lied.

First thing Monday morning, I called my account officer to stop the N75k cheque and I texted Uncle To's wife to advise her the cheque had been stopped for now.

My grand-father called me later that morning to invite me to a family meeting that evening.

Damn! I was only trying to help, men!!

So I called hubby and he said he would tag along as a witness and tried to cheer me on.

Go Copi! Go Baby! Go Copi! Go Baby!

I texted Mum to update her and she didn't reply till evening.

She asked me to be calm and to send her a missed call as soon as I got there.

She wanted me to put her on speaker phone and my mum is a tigress.

*Sigh*

In attendance were me, hubby, Grampa, Grampa's wife, Uncle To, Uncle To's wife, Uncle To's elder brother, Uncle To's mum, My mum (on speaker phone) and My mum's sister.
Hubby and I greeted everyone generally, Uncle To ignored me.

Uncle To's wife was told to narrate what happened and she was totally honest.
However, she had decided to get home first to make her husband's dinner before proceeding to her mother-in-law's and while she was cooking, uncle To got home, found her bag on the bed, went thru it and found my cheque.
He confronted her and she said she was going back to school and moving on with her life
and I had given her the cheque to help.
So he concluded that she was leaving him and he called Grampa, his mother-in-law and his mum.
His mum called Grampa with her own version and Grampa called Mum's sister and Mum(Do you get it?)

I confirmed what she said was true and the 'elders' asked her why she hadn't discussed this issue with her husband first.
She said she had done so several times and that she was ashamed to discuss it with anyone because it was so embarrassing.
They insisted she should have confided in her in-laws: her hubby's siblings or mum and that she had no business involving me.
They were beginning to lay the blame on the poor gal when mum spoke up: Ex
cuse me!!!!! Why are you blaming this gal, when you should be asking To why he's not performing his manly duties. If a man's house is in order...........

Uncle To: Copido, please can you excuse us?
The 'elders' agreed Uncle To's wife and I should leave and that hubby could stay....




4 comments:

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

Humm sorry Copido. Please try and finish the gist. Don't worry you were only trying to help. See this as a lesson and a stepping stone to a new phase of life ok.


BTW i think i like ur hubby. He sounds supportive, it was so sweet of him to have called, kind of thing my dad would do. awwwwwww

Arewa said...

Typical family diplomacy..u know they werent going to tell ur uncle off in front of u.. its just the way things are done where we come from...welldone for standing ur ground and thumbs up to ur Hubby.

aloted said...

first time on ur blog..and this ur gist is something else!!! wow!

good that u have a supportive husband...let me go and read the rest of the gist...

Hope u r hanging in there!

Unknown said...

Pheww, guess everything is sorted out now. Your uncle deserves a smack for his behaviour. But this extended family matter is a delicate one and one has to tread softly. See how your good intentions were distorted by the time the news finally got to your mum.

But you are brave oh. I would not have had the guts to ask my elder uncle why he is not sleeping with his wife. LOL!!