Wednesday 18 April 2007

Evil & Reckless Nigerian Bus Drivers

My Nissan Altima has been wrecked!!!!
I was exiting the service lane to join the express when this driver zoomed into my car from nowhere.
I had the shock of my life as I heard the sound of breaking glass, crushing metal and the car was suddenly jerked to the other side of the road!!
A policeman and nearby witnesses stopped the driver as he tried to make a run.
Suddenly, the bus passengers were confronting me, mercilessly harassing me and saying I was at fault!!!
Because I was in shock, I could barely talk and I almost fainted when I saw the mess he had made of my brand new car!!!
We were in front of a police station and of course, we had caused a mighty big scene.
I was speechless and trying hard not to cry.
The wretched old driver came to me and started prostrating and pleading for mercy but his irate passengers told him to get up as there was no need to beg me, it was my fault!!!

I calmly regained my nerves and told the policemen to lead us into the police station for an investigation.
They made drawings of the scene and someone drove my car into the station while the officer drove the bus in behind us.
I called hubby to tell him and he was anxious about my wellbeing because I had begun to cry hysterically.
We bought the car on lease and we haven't even used it for up to a year.
Hubby assured me he would contact our insurance coy and we could get the car fixed or buy another one as long as I was okay.
He promised to join me at the station ASAP with his lawyer.

At the investigation unit, we were asked to give our statements.
I started to write mine but the driver was illiterate and had to speak in Nigerian dialect while an officer wrote it out for him.
He said I ran into his car, end of.
I was shocked as it was so obvious he was lying
He was unable to produce a valid driver's license and he admitted he did not consult his mirror before driving into the exit.
I already knew I was vindicated as he was a staunch liar.
Officers advised us to compromise or we would have to go to court.
I said I was ready to go to court and that my hubby was on the way with his lawyer.
I told the officers to impound both cars as I was going to make sure he fixed my car, if it means selling off the bus.
I FELT LIKE KICKING THE DRIVER AND TEARING OFF THE FLESH ON HIS FACE!!!!
The driver began prostrating again and offered me two thousand five hundred naira amidst pleas.
I actually felt sorry for him and I might have asked him to go if it wasn't for a police officer who insisted the driver was reckless and did not deserve any mercy.
He asked me to call whoever was going to fix the car to get a quotation
Driver: Ahhh!!! Oga I begi, pulease help me, abegi. I use GOD beg una, abegi (prayers, prayers, prayers)
So I called hubby to call a car technician but he said he had contacted our insurance company and they were on the way to the station.
I told him I was beginning to feel sorry for the poor chap but he said no way and vehemently insisted that I should not give ear to his pleas.
Anyways, hubby arrived with lawyer and we said we were ready to go to court.
The owner of the bus was contacted, when he arrived he said he had warned the man repeatedly about his reckless driving.
He said he wanted his bus back and was not willing to pay a dime as whatever happened to the driver was no concern of his but police said the bus had to be held as evidence.
Bus owner started crying, cursing and begging.
It's sad but many Nigerians are suffering, really suffering.
He said it was the only source of income he had to of himself, wife, mother and 9chilren
Hubby said it was a sob story and refused to budge, so 'I started begging hubby on their behalf'....Can you imagine the irony?!!!
Eventually, hubby said he would only let them go when the car technician and insurance arrived.

Car Technician quoted N70,000 - N80000.
Cries, Pleas, Curses ensued from driver and car owner.
Hubby: How much will you pay.
Driver: N2500, I swear that's all I have
Hubby: You are not serious
Owner: How much make we pay?
Hubby: At least N20000 so you both learn a lesson
Both: Please sir, please sir, oga please

Eventually, it was agreed that they will pay N10000 at the spot and deposit N2000 per day for 5days at the police station.
Insurance took our statement and said they will contact us.
They towed our car away.....(sigh)
Police said they would not release the bus till the money was fully paid, which we agreed to.
Anyways, at the end of a gruelling 4 and a half hours, the ordeal came to an end but I must mention we had to buy 2 higher education notebooks each, hubby had to give the police 'some money' because we were told to see oga and hubby had to give the cop at the gate N200 for opening and closing the gate for us.
Phew!!!
What do u reckon....was it worth the stress?
I forgot to mention the police station was filthy and it stank!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to Niaja! LOL!! I hate the police station as well as the policemen too. Obtainers and Scoundrels they all are I'm sorry to say.

Copido said...

@ Calabargal:
lol re: obtainers and scoundrels