Sunday 22 April 2007

How Do I Cope in Naija???

I arrived in London Heathrow on Saturday morning.
Once I got through Customs & Immigrations, I almost started crying.
I began to ask myself how I could give up my life in he UK for my beloved.
When I saw my brother among the crowd, I hugged him and I just started crying.
He was confused and he just held me while people looked on
He held me quietly in one arm and wheeled my luggage with the other as we walked to the car park.
With me, when I am crying, it's best to leave me alone till I'm in safe mode or else I'll become so hysterical.
My bro put my luggage into the car while I stood wiping my eyes.

Bro: Are you better now?
Me: I think so(sigh!)
Bro: Whats wrong?
Me: I'm just asking myself questions(shrug).


Can I actually settle back in Naija?
I am married to a 'big boy' (rich bloke) and I have lots of my own money but Lagos is so loud and lawless.
There is no respect for the law and even law enforcement officers do not have any respect for themselves.
Many places in Lagos are characterised with chaos!!!!
There's never any light (Electric Power Supply) and I'm even getting headaches from generator noise!
The roads are bad and poorly maintained!
In short, the state of social amenities and infrastructure is below average!
Sometimes I just want to walk to the park but there's none......except I don't know of it.
There's poverty, suffering and frustration written across the foreheads of the men on the street
Beggars, disabled men and lunatics are littered everywhere.
Job interviewers lack respect and good manners and they believe they are doing you a favour!!!
I comfort myself all the time by saying it's not so bad, maybe it's not.
But the honest truth is:::: Lagos is filthy and polluted!!!
Lagos is bad!!!
And only GOD can save us
I'm still asking myself if I was mad to give up a 'great 4year IT job with GREAT career prospects' to marry my heartthrob!!!
Truth is, it was quite easy for me to give up my life in the UK but living without it is a big torment!
I hope I will survive somehow cos I never want to be separated extensively from hubby so I wont have a long-distance marriage.


I met a couple of neighbours when we got home and I wasn't surprised when they chorused:
You've become so dark!!!! What happenned???!!!
Me: Naija happenned

The truth is, I have not used any body cream in like 2/3months because of the intense heat.
I keep wondering how fair-skinned Lagosians are able to keep fair.
Well, I'm not an expert with body-creams so I wouldn't know.
I have turned from a nice, clean shade of cream chocolate skin colour to an ugly black colour.
Well, I'm in London till Saturday for my best friend's wedding.
She came all the way to Lagos for mine and she made me her 'Maid of Honour' so there was no way hubby could say 'No'
I'm hoping I'll have a restful week.



Phew::::::::::I just asked myself how I manage without Broadband!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BLACK IS NOT UGLY..WE WILL FIGHT OH..AHN AHN..HERE I AM LOVING YOUR BLOG AND YOU MAKING IT SEEM LIKE HAVING A BLACK COMPLEXION IS WRONG.

TAKE YA TIME OH MADAM...

and no...i am as yellow as anything but i ENVY dark skinned girls.i hate in naija when people just randomly ask me...

"ello,baby,har yoo haf-cayste?"

damn...

Copido said...

heehhee. How come I didnt reply this post? I agree black is beautiful...and sensational