Tuesday 17 April 2007

Governorship Elections in Lagos Nigeria

Registering to vote was a nightmare, but exercising my right to vote was even worse.
As we had been advised of restricted movement on election day, I had to leave home on Friday night for Magodo, where I registered.
I checked into De-Suites hotels on Friday night and I was ready to vote by 0900am, alas, INEC officials were nowhere to be found.
They(INEC) eventually arrived at about 1300pm and were completely deaf to our suggestions on how to hasten the process.
They had to carry out verification/accreditation of voters credibility first by searching through five(5) registration handbooks page-by-page for the voter's details, in this age of technology?????
The names were arranged according to the order we registered, hence it wasn't even alphabetical.
In the space of 5hours, less than 70people and an unknown number of senior citizens had been attended to.
As you can imagine, a higher majority of us were left waiting in doubt of whether or not we would be able to vote.
I've got dual citizenship and I have voted in the UK twice, I swear Nigeria has a long w-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay to go!!!

Eventually, a resident of Magodo took charge and asked for suggestions and we agreed it would be better to call out ten-twenty names in the order they appeared instead of searching through 5books for a voter's name.
Of course, those in the front queue protested and won't agree. The senior citizens also kicked against it and I began to wonder what INEC meant when it announced that they were fully ready for the elections.
In my opinion, the INEC staff at Magodo Police Station, Polling Booth 014, were lacking in training and materials and were either not ready for the election or they had a scheme to connive with a party to impose a candidate on us.
What I mean is, the new process was obviously faster and in the space of less than an hour, the INEC official said he had run out of ballot paper and he was going to count the 300votes and leave.
Magodo is an elite estate and its residents are known for their appreciation of peace and quiet but on Saturday, they united in one voice against malpractice and questioned why 300papers were provided for a centre that registered 1200people!!!!!!
Men and women, young and old confronted the officials and refused to allow them leave or count the votes.
Eventually, two hours later and after several calls were made, more ballot paper arrived and everyone was able to vote amidst lots of struggling, pushing and pulling.
As for hubby,he said he didn't have a candidate and couldn't care less about voting as INEC was going to impose someone, most likely Koro, on us but I insisted it was my civic duty and I ensured I voted amidst all the challenges.
Of course, I voted for Raji Fashola. Why?
I think he's a distinguished gentleman.
I think he would finish up Tinubu's unfinished work: continuity!
I think he's much less of a tout than Koro, therefore he will make a better leader.
I think his slogan: 'Eko O Ni Baje' is inspiring.
I think he might have a sound mind.


Jimi Agbaje was my second choice but I knew he didn't have a chance in this election as Fashola and Koro are more popular, maybe in 2011..
As for Fashola, I'm happy he won as I'm strongly against PDP.
My dad and uncle are members of the PDP but I don't support their party in any way.
Also, while visiting in Magodo last month, there was a PDP meeting/rally somewhere on Tokunbo Macaulay and the place was packed with area boys.
I was turning into the street when my car was surrounded by area boys aggressively ordering me to reverse.
I was adamant and they started hitting and pushing my car till I reversed.
A convoy of jeeps, cars and buses bearing posters and paintings of 'Kafilah Ogbara?' tore into the street at high speed.
In my head, I thought a woman????? A woman????? A female politician???? PDP???
Harassing citizens of Nigeria with touts?????
And I vowed not to vote for PDP.

As hubby had insisted that I stay in Magodo till Sunday, I checked out of the hotel and went to my parents' home further down the road.
On getting home, Dad was not happy at all as Fashola had won with a wide margin in Magodo and even Jimi Agbaje fared better than Obanikoro.
I asked how he knew and he said that in the spirit of transparency, INEC officials had to count and record the votes in the presence of party officials before leaving the voting booth.
I kept shut and didnt tell him I had voted the opposition, not that he would kill me but just for peace sake.....
My uncle's wife later called from Ikoyi with the same news: Fashola won in her polling station but someone told her that PDP had won in 15local governments already so it didn't matter.
I wasn't happy to hear that, but I jumped for joy when it was officially announced that Fashola won the Lagos Gubernatorial Election!!!!

To Fashola:
I congratulate you, please don't let the good people of this state down!!!!

No comments: