Thursday 5 April 2007

Nigerian Police- A Social Problem????

Why is the Nigerian Police constantly extorting money from the citizens of this nation and causing unnecessary delays?
I am yet to meet a self-respected and honourable policeman who would change this impression.
Having lived extensively in Canada and the United Kingdom, some reckon my opinion is biased, well at least it's my opinion.
I won't excuse the citizens of Nigeria either as many Nigerians would rather tip policemen to avoid 'unnecessary delays'.
I am even more ashamed to say my hubby is also a culprit of bribing police officers but I will never ever ever bribe one.

Here goes, I was out yesterday to do this month's shopping(groceries).
My car boot was packed with raw foods like: rice, garri, yams, pepper, frozen fish, chicken, beef, assorted meats, veggies etc.
As a result of this, I put the processed foods and drinks in my back seat.
We were approaching Opebi Link road when I observed my driver was on the wrong lane, I scolded him and advised him to trafficate right and do a right turn as we could not go straight. The car ignition went off as he did so and he restarted immediately.
An impatient Nigerian behind us blared his horn and suddenly, about 8 uniformed officers: policemen and LASTMA had surrounded the car like a swarm of bees and they were trying to jerk the car door open.
The driver unlocked the central lock and two men tried to scramble into the packed back seat of my car while a LASTMA official squeezed half his body into my seat and tried to jam the door!!!! A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!

Me: (I reach out to stop LASTMA from jamming the door) Are you crazy? What is going on?
Voices: Obstruction of traffic!! Madam you are obstructing traffic!!!! Turn right and park madam!!!
I observed someone was trying to make room for a seat at the back and he's moving my provision carelessly. I am totally pissed off now. Horns are blaring loudly behind us, so much noise!!!
Me: Officer!!! Get out of my seat now!!!
LASTMA: Madam just turn right, obey before complain.
Me: Can you get your filthy body out of here or I will slap you (See, I'm usually a coward but they had brought out the lion in me)
LASTMA:Madam, you can not threaten or assault an officer (Yeah, he got that right)
I observed someone was gesturing to my driver to turn right so I switched off the ignition and removed the car key
Me: It looks like we are going to sleep here today. I will not move till you lot get out of my car and if you have damaged my shopping, you are going to have it today
Voice: This woman is stubborn, take her to the office
Voice: Madam, you are blocking other road users(Horns are blaring sooo loudly but I'm past caring. I am calling my hubby's phone)
Me: Sweetheart, I'm being harassed by some LASTMA & Police officers at Opebi Link road
Voice: (yelling and hitting my car bonnet) Madam, clear from the road or I'll tow this vehicle. This is not a phoning matter
Me: I think we are going to their office
Hubby: Dear, just give them N500, they'll leave you. If you go to their office, they'll delay you.
Me: (to LASTMA) Where is your office?
LASTMA: Madam, park first
Me: Then get out of my car
Hubby: Dear, give them the phone, tell them your husband wants to talk to them, maybe I'll text them some credit cos I know you....
Me: Later dear.
Voice: Come out of the car, this woman is causing holdup
LASTMA gets out, a skinny policeman has squeezed into the back by now. I jammed my door and ordered the driver to move the car. There are 3men in front of the car, gesturing towards the right. We turned right but they remained standing in front of the car
My driver:(in local dialect) Comot from road make I no clear you; you go just die like chicken
Policeman: Can I see your particulars
My driver passes them to him, he glances through
Policeman: Where is the owner of this car?
Me:It's mine
LASTMA: Madam we are arresting you for obstructing traffic
Me: When and How? (I got out of the car. I have a posh English accent,no matter how I try to localiseit,,,aargggh!!! I flashed my ring)
Look, I am a married woman and I won't let you waste my time. My car ignition went off and he(my driver) restarted it immediately. As you can see, my trafficator is pointing right. How can you accuse me of obstructing traffic because the car stopped? I am sure I don't look like a car technician.
LASTMA to Police: Was the pointer on?
Police: Yes
LASTMA: Madam, please you have to respect the law next time. I'll have mercy on you today but don't do it next time
Me: Try respecting yourself first and avoid embarrassing the people you should protect. And please give your uniform a good wash and scrub your body when you get home cos you stink!!!!
LASTMA:(Walking away with Police Officer) Women! Dem dey too stubborn. This one na craze woman(police laughs)
I got back into the car...phew.
Me(To driver): Lets go
Driver: Oga, abeg comot for car, we dey go abi u wan follow us go house?
Me: (The skinny cop was still squeezed into the back seat) Can you get out of my car and go back to your duty post now
Cop: Madam, wetin dem tell you
Driver: Dem say make we dey go
Cop: He no possible, go and call the LASTMA to confirm this before I comot. Hurry oh because he don go far. If he go, he mean say I go carry you to station
My driver started getting outta the car
Me:(To Driver) Where are you going? Will you sit there!!!
Me: (To Skinny Cop) Officer, are you telling me that you take your instructions from LASTMA? You!!! A police officer? I cannot believe my ears. Will you get outta my car NOW, you moron(oops)!!!!!!!!
Skinny Cop: (stammers) Madam, I am taking you to the station. You are very stubborn
Me:(I jumped outta the car) Then lets go!Where is your station? I am a citizen of Nigeria and the police should be my friend!!!! If you want a bribe, then you have met the wrong person
Skinny Cop: (stammers) Madam, I have not asked you for anything
Me: Then get outta my car and go back to your duty post. You have not been designated as my aide so tell me what you are doing in my car, harassing me and asking me to call LASTMA to instruct youuuuu!!!!
Skinny Cop: (still stammering and barely coherent) Madam, you can see I am not shouting like a woman. Stop shouting on me.
Me: (Was I irked!!!!) I will shout because your conduct is disgusting. Why are you hiding your name and ID number behind that vest? In fact, I'm going to make a complaint about you. What is your name???!! Lets go to you station and if you have damaged any of my stuff, you are done for
There's a small crowd now. I am flailing my arms and yelling like a banshee! But I am beyond caring.
Skinny Cop: Na wa for you. You think I am afraid to go to the station. If if if I take you to station, you'll regret it
Me: Stop threatening me and lets go
Driver: Mummy, let us go. By the time we carry him to Lekki, he'll know
Skinny Cop: (Shakes his head, he looks really embarrassed and opens the door) I..I...I..I'll p.p....pardon you
Me: (I get back into the car) Get out!! Stop being a nuisance
Skinny Cop: Yoou yoouuuu this madam, yoooou you you are too stubborn a.a..aa...nd rude, you better go and change. Your ...your... your mouth is too sharp
Me: Whatever. Go and brush your teeth
Skinny Cop:(sighs/laughs, I'm not sure) I said I will pardon you
Driver: Thank you
I gave him an evil look as he alighted. There's general laughter from spectators as we drive off.

Phew!!!!

3 comments:

princesa said...

Ha! Ha!! Ha!!! Hilarious!!!! Am dying with laughter here o!
Police and Lastma- A lagos driver's worst enemies! U really dealt with them sha. Up U!!

Unknown said...

I'm sure it wasnt a lauging matter at that time.

AIVY said...

the nigerian police simply dont know their duties. i've had an experience like this before, it wasn't funny at all.