Thursday 26 April 2007

Hoping For A New Nigeria

It wasn't too much of a surprise to learn that Yaradua won the presidential election(yawn).
Afterall, Mr President already declared that it was a do-or-die affair for PDP.
I hope above all these that we will have a new Nigeria.
Although some speak in glowing terms of Yaradua, I beg to differ (Nothing Personal).
I was posted to Katsina state for my NYSC programme, and I was quite enthusiastic that I would shed some pounds (weight) gained from years of eating KFC & MacDonalds.
I only 'managed' to stay in Katsina for 3months before packing my bags and returning to England.
I found the living conditions in Katsina quite unbearable and I returned to England barely three months into the programme.
I would not blame Mr Yaradua for the extremely hot weather as it's no fault of his.
I am shocked that people speak of him in glowing terms especially about all he's done in Katsina.
He might have done a lot, but he has neglected what I would term 'the most basic and important thing'
In my opinion, he has neglected to educate his people.
There is power in education, but our northern allies have been denied severally of this priviledge.
In Katsina, children learn to beg from a very tender age and have little or no interest in education.
Many children said they aspired to become 'corpers' (A community service every Nigerian graduate undergoes immediately after graduating) so they could receive the 'corper's monthly allowance: N7500')
We encouraged them to go to school but that was just very boring talk.
I also observed that the men treated women very condescendingly.

I lodged in a hotel at Katsina for the duration of my stay and I had to question my sanity so many times.
Men lodged in the same hotel with young girls from age 14 and indulged in groupsex and acts of drunkenness.
These men wore Hausa regalia and spoke in hausa but I'm not sure if they were indigenes of Katsina but I know they were 'big men' ie men with bucks..
I found this hypocritic as Katsina is a Sharia state but then, in Nigeria, only the grassroot thieves are prosecuted, aint it?

I hope Mr Yaradua would remember his promises to the people of this nation.
I hope that Nigeria, like Ghana would soon celebrate 3years of 'uninterrupted power supply'
I hope we would say farewell to bribery, corruption and 'Ghana-must-go' in high places
I hope we would be able to live, drive and shop in pollution-free areas.
I hope our children would have better opportunities than we did.
I hope Nigerians would stop having a thieving mentality.
I hope the basic things of life would not be a luxury to the masses.
I hope for security of lives in our nation.
I hope for good road networks, I mean it's so much fun to drive abroad.
I hope Nigerians would have a new respect for the laws of this country and it's enforcement agents.
I hope the police would be better paid and taken care of so they can stop collecting N50 bribes.
I hope our northern allies(rich and poor) would be more encouraged to educate their children.
I hope Mr Yaradua can make Nigerians proud.
I hope for a beautiful and shining Nigeria
I hope for a New Nigeria, that will be the true giant of Africa.
I hope it is not too much to ask for.......

No comments: