Sunday 24 June 2007

Bad Health Scare Part II

I don't know if I should share this, cos it's no business of mine.....I've really thought deep about sharing it and I hate being the bearer of bad news but peeps please don't use just any hospital in this Lagos!!!! Please, I beg you, there are killer doctors.........


We were waiting at the hospital's accounts department to pick or bill when four people rushed in to the reception area: a middle-aged woman carrying a baby(LCTB), wrapped in a beautiful pink shawl, a young woman(YW) and two men(M1 & M2).
I heard snatches of conversation.
The lady carrying the baby(LCTB) asked in a rushed voice for the medical director.
Receptionist: The MD has closed for the day but other doctors are on duty.

LCTB: I just called him, he said he's on his way.

Receptionist:
Please sit down, I'll call him

A nurse walked into reception area and smiled as she saw LCTB: Ah you've brought us a baby. She went to check the baby and I saw an alarmed look on her face.
She said something I didn't hear, LCTB nodded, she was dancing from one foot to the other nervously.

Next thing, the nurse dashed upstairs, two doctors, dashed down with her and rushed past us with the four to the 'Emergency Area' just across us.
The lady at accounts asked to be excused as she went in there too, she dashed out soon after and ran to the reception area.
Accounts Lady to Receptionist: Have you spoken to the MD?

Receptionist: He's on his way

Hubby: I think they have an emergency. I hope that baby is alright.

Next thing, the MD ran past us into the emergency area.
By now, I knew the poor baby was in danger.
I was yet to break my fast and I started praying for this baby I didn't know, hoping GOD would hear my cry and save the poor child.
Shortly after, the young woman(YW), part of the four, came out with one of the men they arrived with(M1). The lady was holding her chin in her hand and shaking her head.

YW: Ha! If only you had taken the one-way, she was still breathing oooooooH. Ah! Who is going to call her mother now? Ah! Yeeee! Ah! Ah!

I wanted to ask if the baby was okay but I couldn't even bring myself to speak.
The two doctors on duty emerged from the emergency room trying hard to keep their faces expressionless

I heard the MD say: How can a surgeon perform a surgery without oxygen. He's a murderer. That doctor is a murderer. How can someone bear a baby to full term, nine whole months and then you let this happen! That man is worse than a killer. All this baby needed was oxygen! Just oxygen.....

He walked out, the LCTB and M2 followed, with the nurse, the baby was left on the hospital bed.
LCTB was led to a seat in the reception, nobody was crying but you could tell from their expression they were not happy

M2: Should I call the child's mum?

LCTB: To tell her what? Somebody that just gave birth. Do you want to kill her? Nobody should call her oh. Nobody should call her......Just leave her alone. (To M1) You are not without blame oh, because if you had taken that one-way we would have gotten here sooner......but you are very stubborn. See what you have caused....Which LASTMA monitors one-way at midnight?

MD reappeared and gives LCTB a card: Call this number to report. If you need any assistance let me know. I mean that doctor can't be left to continue doing this. This is the third time I am having this type of emergency!! Careless doctors performing surgery without backup oxygen. I mean no matter how good you are, things can go wrong and you need to be prepared.....I will never perform surgery without sufficient oxygen. It's murder!

The lady at accounts reappeared with a straight face.
Accounts lady: Sorry for keeping you waiting.

Hubby: Sure. Is the baby okay.

She made a slight movement with her head that didn't say yes or no.
Hubby didn't push because we know it's professionally wrong to discuss other patients.
I could see the a pink cap, covering the baby's hed and the pink shawl lay around the baby.
The baby was not crying and I didn't need anyone to tell me the poor child had passed away.
I wondered if the baby had been gasping when she was born and during the drive to the hospital.
We picked our bill and walked into the reception area.

I said to the YW, who was still standing: Sit down sister. It is well
Like a robot, she sat down and sighed.
As we walked out of the hospital, I understood really that there's only a thin line between life and death
Just one breath of oxygen! Just one breath, just one moment, and that baby would have had a naming ceremony next Wednesday!
As for that killer surgeon, I hope that family won't let him go just like that.
If hubby and I hadn't gone to the hospital to check his BP that Wednesday......GOD forbid!!!

2 comments:

princesa said...

Sad! So sad! This reminded me of my cousin. Poor girl had been trying over 2 years to have a baby, kept on having miscarriages after the other and the only pregnancy she carried to full term, the baby was still born due to the carelessness of one yeye doctor. She still blames herself for going to that hospital. Shit happens, we all need to be wary.

Copido said...

@ Princess:
I hope your cuz sued his arse/closed the hospital down. I can't even begin to imagine how devastated she musta been...