Tuesday 1 May 2007

Child Racism?? Renew Your Mind.

My sister-in-law called my mum in tears last week.
Her daughter was refusing to go to school because some girl in her school was constantly taunting her on the colour of her skin.
She said the girl always told her to go and have a wash or tell her mum to give her a good scrub because her skin was too brown.
I was incensed when I heard and even more appalling was the fact that these girls are barely 6years old.
We agreed the matter had to be brought to the attention of the school authorities as it was obviously a case of 'child racism'.
The school was notified and they said the matter would be investigated.
My niece's class teacher expressed surprise as both girls were quite friendly to each other and often paired up together.

This morning, I went to a nearby park with my 1year old nephew.
There were very few people around and I let him have fun running around.
Not long after, a group of six/seven white children were led into the play-area.
My nephew squealed in delight and ran to join them.
They all ran in different directions, with the exception of a baby about his age who held on to his mother's skirt.
I tried to pull my nephew back but he was very delighted to see someone about the same size as him so he went after the baby again.
The baby ran away, a second time and I became very cross and started wondering if children are now taught to discriminate at such tender ages.
I thought the baby was very unfriendly.

On getting back home, I called my sister-in-law and I tearfully narrated what had happened to my innocent nephew.
To my surprise, she said most babies are shy when they meet other babies and it's not unusual for them to cling to their mothers.
She said her daughter's school had just called and advised that her daughter was the only 'dark-skinned African' in the school and the other little girl innocently thought she wasn't getting a good scrub.
The school also apologised and told her not to worry anymore as the case had been dealt with and rectified.

This prompted so many questions in my mind.
I have never personally experienced racism but I am aware it does exist.
However, I have learnt a lesson from children.
Things are not always what they seem................

No comments: