Thursday 17 May 2007

I am Soooo Freaking Out!!!!

I am freaking out!!!!!
I am really and trulyfreaking out!!!!!
Who's gonna help me??!!
I narrowly escaped a near-collision with an 'okada' today.
Okadas are motorcycles used for public transport in Lagos, Nigeria.
They can squeeze into the narrowest space between cars and they don't obey any traffic laws.
Some of them are fitted with the loudest music systems and loud-blaring horns from trucks/lorries.
They are a great nuisance to many drivers on Lagos streets but we are very mindful of them.
If you dare run into an okada, be sure you'll get lynched and mobbed and you would be lucky if you escape alive and in possession of your car.

While driving on CMD road today, an okada zoomed right into the front of my car.
I was driving at 60kph and I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid knocking him off.
People were screaming as I braked suddenly and my tires screeched loudly.
He tried to grab my bonnet but I had swerved clear of him so he went zig-zag till he caught hold of a parked car.
I was petrified but ever so thankful to GOD.
The okada-driver was very apologetic: 'Madam sorry, I no look back'
Other voices chorused: 'Na small it remain, you for die today.' 'Madam no mind am, na so dem dey do' etc
What's happening?
I am so scared!
I am totally freaking out.
Hubby and I had a row last night cos he said he was going to ask the driver to resume today.
He said driving in London and Nigeria is very different and I totally agree but I have a valid UK driver's license and u don't just get that like u get driver's licences in Naija.
I left home this morning in rebellion for an unplanned visit to my dad & see where it almost landed me.
Hubby woulda been so crossed if something had happened!
I reckon it's best for this driver to resume work before I totally freak out.
Hubby's won, hands down.
Naijas have no respect for road/traffic laws, okadas are lawless and I can't allow anybody to mob/lynch me.
Phew!!!!

5 comments:

? said...

I was home 2004 and my experience of driving at that time was the most terrible and shuddery. One needs to be extremely careful.

ps: I wish you all the best with your interview and hope your interviewer just loves the look of you.

princesa said...

Girl, first time on ur blog and its cool i must say.
I know what it is like driving on lagos roads, trust me. If its not crazy danfo drivers then its okada riders who act like they are on a suicide mission. Take am easy sha cos like u said it doesnt matter if its ur fault or not, run down someone and u r blamed!
Going to read ur other posts now.
Cheers.

Unknown said...

Lucky Escape indeed. I'll be looking out for your 'First Time' posts. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Unknown said...

Whats ur email address? I need it to send you an invite. Mine is calabargal2@yahoo.co.uk. Cheers.

? said...

regarding the interview post above: congrats! and am 100%

Hope to see you around.