Tuesday 8 May 2007

Shopping Spree

Well, my short holiday was fun.
The bridal shower, wedding, meeting old friends, visiting my former place of work and of course shopping till I dropped.
I even shed 5.6kg in less than 2weeks and reminded myself that living in London is an exercise.
I enjoyed running up and down the escalators at the tube stations, running to catch the cabs/buses, touring Brent Cross and the West End and walking the two sides of Oxford street to Marble Arch with my heavy shopping bags.
Of course I also had a shopping spree @ Jermyn street, I hold discount cards for a number of shirt-makers and my husband and I are lovers of good shirts.
Of course, I also went to Whitechapel, Liverpool Street, Finsbury Park and East Street markets.
These markets are tops for the cheapest bargains in high street clothes for wholesalers and even retailers but they sell without the clothes label.
Also if you missed out on an item from a previous season, it's very likely you'll find it there.
I got two boxes of formal and casual wear, shoes and bags to sell off in Lagos.
I have a couple of boutiques who buy off me and a number of friends and families who are loyal customers.
Talking about friends, why do some people buy stuff on credit and vanish for months but once they hear you have new stock, they are back with your money and hounding you for new stuff.
I know I have a great taste for clothing so my stuff don't stay in the house for long and I usually sell off my goods with at least a 100% profit if not more. (Lucky me)

I also ran errands for the bride, her groom and my family.
Londoners can so use you. (laughs)
I also babysat my beautiful nephews and nieces, I miss them the most.
Children are so lovely and cuddly and.......trusting too!!!
I also bought chinaware and little bits of decorations and frames for our home.
For the first time in my life, I claimed back VAT.
Of course, a high percentage of the VAT refund was claimed back as admin charges....heck!!
I ended up with 5bags weighing 27kg, 33kg, 36kg, 37kg and 42kg.
I paid excess on four bags...what the heck was I thinking!!!

Anyways, I got into another round of shopping at the duty free shops. I bought 3 wrist-watches, some wine and lots of chocolates. I also splashed on fragrances: DKNY, CK & Issey Miyake.
I absolutely love DKNY & CK Euphoria but hubby loves CK & Issey Miyake fragrances.
I stopped at MAC for a make-over and bought my make-up.
I ended up BURDENED with 3 large Duty-free bags and I forgot my jacket at the cashier's till.
The airline staff were however helpful and got someone to fetch my jacket as there was no way I was going to go back for the jacket with all of that load.
I felt sorry for myself but who knows when I'll be shopping on those familiar streets again???
I really enjoy shopping in London and I can't compare it with shopping in Lagos but I reckon I need to cut down so I can save some more....
What do you reckon?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

O GIRL, Na you BIKO!! Where do I start?

I LOVE Finsbury Park. The discounts are amazing. If only money grew on trees - I would shop till I dropped daily. (smile) I wouldnt mind getting discount cards for those shirtmakers too to add to my plethora of discount cards. Which ones have discount cards? Torchlight me abeg.

Thats typical naija person for you. The avoid you when they owe you that is if they dont even harass you on top of that for daring to ask them for your money when they arent in a good mood. Kudos to those of you that suceed in selling things. I absolutely hate it and dont just bother at all.

I cn identify with you leaving your jacket at the shops. You were mesmerized by duty free abi? I once forgot my hand luggage in one of the shops too but the airline staff were helpful too and sent it to where the main luggage were for me. They wouldnt let me out of the plane even though I wante to go back and get it. I remembered after I was seated on the plane. LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Yes shopping in London is the best because you are so spoilt for choice. Lagos is fantastic as well and I find the haggling a lot of fun. I cannot wait to go back.

AIVY said...

u go girl!!! i love shopping too, maybe we can shop together sometime...lol