Tuesday 15 May 2007

Nosey Sister-In-Law

We did some family visits yesterday, actually we paid surprise visits on two of my hubby's siblings.
We caught one family completely unawares.
My sister-in-law had allegedly told another family member that she would not step into our home because I did not come and say thank you for all she did re: our wedding.
Well, in my defense, I actually sent text messages to everybody during our precious honeymoon and I called close friends and family after our honeymoon.
We also placed cute thank-you cards on each table at the reception.
Must I also visit everyone of the three thousand guests at our wedding??
Why are people so petty, old-fashioned and unnecessarily bitter??
I am from the South-Western part of Nigeria and in my tribe, the woman's family is responsible for hosting the wedding and engagement party.
I can proudly say that my family only accepted a cow/bull from the groom's family as support and we bought 3 other cows/bulls and paid for every other thing: 2 event venues, entertainment, event coordinators, protocol and security officers, catering and drinks, decorations, photography, videography, transport, and you name it.......I even bought my wedding dress and my hubby's and best-man's shirts with my own money and I have never asked anyone to give me the credits.
What the heck is she going on about?

Anyways, so as to forestall 'in-law enmity/rivalry', I literarily dragged hubby to visit them yesterday.
We arrived unannounced and what can I say?
Pure filth!!!
Everywhere was filthy and littered
We had to shift clothes to be able to sit in the living area.
I could tell she was sorely embarrassed as she kept blaming it on her children and of course she kept picking one piece of clothing after another.
I thought the children also looked unkempt and I am not trying to look down on anyone.
She said there was no food at home and offered to buy us some snacks which we kindly declined.
We didn't stay long and we ended up in traffic so hubby suggested we paid a visit to another sibling.

This time around, we announced we were on our way so as not to embarrass anyone.
Anyways, we met them at home and stayed till late
I thought I had a fun time as we basically talked about everything and anything.
Anyways, as we were leaving, my sister-in-law(S-I-L) dragged me aside.

S-I-L: So are you pregnant?
Me: (Thinking: What the heck!!! Whats your frigging business???!!!) Why?
S-I-L: Because I need to know so I can start making preparations.
Me: What preparations?
S-I-L: Answer me first
Me: (Really Pissed): Please ask my hubby, I can't answer that
S-I-L: Well, this is woman's talk so I can't ask him. That's why I am asking you
Me: Okay, I don't know (I started to move past her)
S-I-L: (Grabs my arm) Are you still seeing your menses?
Me: (stiffly) I don't know
S-I-L: Well, it doesn't matter if you are still seeing your menses
Me: Goodnight
S-I-L: I am talking to you
Me: Please go and ask my husband, I am not saying anything
S-I-L: You better let me know so I will know how to pray for you
Me: (Disgusted) What do you mean?
S-I-L: Ha, so I can know whether to pray God to do it or keep it
Me: Thank you
S-I-L: Which one of the prayers should i pray?
Me: You can pray both. Goodnight

I snatched my hand from her and I felt like turning back to give her the finger but I restrained myself.
I told hubby in the car and he said he was going to call her to warn her never to harass his wife again.
I told him to leave it and let sleeping dogs lie.
Can you imagine the gall, her effrontery!!!
I called my elder sister and she advised I stay away from her as she wasn't too comfortable with what happened.
I mean, I am close to my family and when I saw them last month, no-one pried.
I am driving myself nuts with worry and I am not sure I want to add anyone's over-zealous and nosy concerns to my list of worries..(hiss)
Why is it usually women that bicker and cause troube.
Gosh! I don't wanna be like this lot.
I never wanna do this to anyone....infact I am sure I'll never ever disrespect anybody's privacy like that.
Peeps, what do ye reckon??

4 comments:

? said...

i think, this to me sounds like a cultural thing you refuse to be tied down by...i would not blame you. who knows whether the "I can start making preparations" would imply visits to a witchcraft doctor ( another cultural fraud ) to determine whether or not the child would have a bright future?

princesa said...

Gawd! Why do people have to be like this! I really find it hard to understand why some people feel its their moral duty to pry unnecessarily into others affairs even when its obvious u dont want to talk.
My dear i advise u steer clear of that ur sis inlaw o!
Baby will come when it will, no worry.

Unknown said...

O GA OH!! How long have you been married that she's already harassing you - 'are you pregnant?' Avoid her o Jare but not too obviously. You are living in close proximity to your inlaws so diplomacy must play a very, very great part here.

Copido said...

@ Calabargal:
I only got married January 2007, barely 4months now. We dont even stay anywhere close to them. My mum said I was the one that went knocking on their door anyway so to keep my mouth shut