Thursday 17 May 2007

One Good Turn Really Deserves Another

Hubby got my car fixed before I returned from the UK.
The insurance story would be one for another day.
Anyways, while driving on Ozumba Mbadiwe today, a white Toyota Hilux Pick-up ran into the side of my car.
In my head, I thought not again??!!!!
I drove abroad for at least 6years and I was only involved in an accident once (My car was hit from behind by a TfL bus)
I felt totally fed up as I pulled over.
The driver quickly jumped out in an attacking mood
Driver: Madam didn't you see the police car speeding in front of me?
I jumped out of the car in annoyance and the pot-bellied driver took a few steps back.
Me: Don't feed me that crap! You have scratched my car and you will pay for it!!!
To my utmost surprise, the man went on his knees immediately and started begging me.
Driver: Madam please, I take GOD beg you. Please, I beg you. You no go see this kind thing again. Madam please. Madam please. Madam please......(x20)
I was short of words and people were shooting me daggers as the man was obviously old enough to be my dad and he was begging me unashamedly.
I sighed and told him to go, I felt so drained.

Hubby has been mounting pressure on me to let my driver resume.
A driver I was happy to get rid of because he was suffocating me!!
He would walk with me into every shop I went even if I begged him not to worry.
When I was buying my hubby's gifts and cards, his presence at my back was stifling.
I told him severally that I needed space but the moron stuck close enough to see the cards I picked and even had the gall to pick the same card off the shelves and say: Daddy will like this one(laughs).
Ouch, I hate digressing!!!

As I got back into my car, a lady rapped on my window, so I let the glass down a bit.
Lady: Aunty, you shouldn't have allowed him to go. His oga(boss) was hiding at the back of the car. They were both laughing when they drove off. Just chase them and tell them to fix your car.
I thanked her but I couldn't be bothered to start a goose-chase.
Well, I visited a friend in Festac and it took me no less than 4hours to get back home to Lekki.
The roads were bad, drivers lawless and the usual Lagos chaos abound in plenty.
I maintained my lane and drove at snail pace slowly behind the car in front of me.
I was stuck in the express road traffic, the only route I knew, hence no escape.
My radio was tuned to Cool FM, my doors were centrally locked and my AC was on full-blast.
There were suspicious looking men walking past my car every now and then and I just tried to be calm and prepared for the worst.
Well, you won' believe what happened: Nobody attacked me, thank GOD.
I actually slept off at the wheel.
The driver beside me horned loudly as my car got close to the one before me.
I was exhausted and even though I heard the horn, I was far gone and I had released my grip on the brake.
I was awakened by a loud bang!
I thought: No!!!! I didn't just sleep off did I?
I quickly got out of my car without any shoes and as I approached the car(Brand New Honda Ivtec) I had run into, the window at the back went down.
The owner, a middle-aged gentleman was seated in 'the owner's corner'
Before I could say anything, he said: Madam, this place is very dangerous, please return to your car and don't bother yourself. I will fix my car if it's spoilt. Just get back into your car
I said: Bless you, sir. Bless you!!
I climbed back into my car and slowly removed my wedding and engagement rings and my Raymond Weil wrist-watch.
Did he say, dangerous area??? mmmh!

3 comments:

? said...

That’s quite interesting. I try as much as I can to help others but in the process I do not expect it back. But like you demonstrated, the favour always gets returned one way or the other. I wish everyone could just be as good. Perhaps the world will be a better place. I hope you can find the time to stop on my blog. Or what do you reckon?

princesa said...

One good turn........... An advice for u-"Try to avoid driving late at night in lagos dear"

Unknown said...

LOL!! You are a clown bbut prevention is better than cure!! Dont try lagos area boys oh!