Tuesday 1 May 2007

Great Service Attitude

Gosh, I have nearly forgotten what it's like to receive excellent customer service!
I don't want to moan about companies in Naija bcos it seems like I'm beginning to moan about Naija issues all the time.
Well, I bought myself a Nokia N91 Sim-free phone last year and you can imagine how much that cost me as it was quite new in the UK at the time.
Anyways, the phone packed up barely 4months afterwards.
You can imagine what a nightmare that was for me.
I went to the Nokia shop at 'The Palms' (Lagos, Nigeria) and I explained to them that I bought the phone while in the UK and it was still protected by warranty etc.
The lady I spoke with, took her time to admire the phone while I was speaking to her and asked: 'Did you buy it here????'
I wanted to scream: 'Are you deaf?????' but I calmly said no
I was told 'we only do sales, no repairs'.
I thanked her and asked politely if she or someone in the shop could direct me to a Nokia Service Centre, as Nokia is boldly displayed in front of the shop and the answer was a sharp: 'No, madam, we only sell brand new Nokia phones'
Whoa! Well, I walked into Carphone Warehouse @ Islington and an Asian bloke said he was sorry to hear my phone was bad. He advised me there was a service centre within 2-minutes walk and drew the directions for me on a piece of paper and I did not even buy the phone from them!!!!
'I am sure they can fix it for you' he said reassuringly.
I actually left the shop with a bounce and in good spirits.
Now the difference between customer service and excellent customer service is: Going the Extra Mile and minding your damn business!!!
If you can't fix the problem, you direct the customer to someone who can and you listen so you can attend to the customer quickly and not waste anybody's time!!!!!
I think Nigerian companies could do better if they took time out to train their staff and make them understand that the 'Customer is King'
What business would thrive without customers???!!
It really doesn't cost a thing to be nice.
It doesn't even hurt to help or put a smile on someone's face.
Do you reckon I'm losing it???
Well, I must mention I have received nothing but exceptional service from the 'Starcomms Data Centre' ie their call centre.
Those chaps are very conversational without being patronising and they always sound cheerful even when all I wanna do is moan about my Internet service.
Go Starcomms!!!!

1 comment:

AIVY said...

girl, i feel you on the irritating service we get from some nigerian companies. some days back i scratched off the pin number on a globacom recharge card and had to call their service centre. the girl that spoke with me was so rude in giving me the first ten digits and telling me very rudely that i had to go to their office to get the other numbers. i was so pissed that i gave up on the card and decided to just get another one. Luckily my dad guessed the missing number.